Friday, September 17, 2010

Visual Thinking Research

I had my sister Nickie complete the visual puzzles (her puzzle is above). On the triangle puzzle, we had to count how many triangles made up a geometric shape. She took longer to finish hers than I did to finish mine, and she found 2 more triangles than I did. We were both many triangles short of the solution, which was 35. Nickie and I found that we used similar methods to find our solutions. We both visually traced the triangles using pattern recognition, specifically the "finding" function. She told me that she went around and around the shape in a circular pattern, outlining all the triangles she saw, thus utilizing the "categorizing" function.

I found that using a pen actually didn't help very much, as all the shapes eventually blended together and I couldn't remember which triangles I had already counted. I tried "matching" all the triangles that looked alike to me. I grouped them by similarity, rather than proximity as my sister seemed to do.

Above is my sister's solution to the spiral puzzle, where we had to see if we could tell which spiral was made up of two ropes. We both ended up finding the correct solution, the spiral on the right. My sister sort of cheated, against my urgent protests, and used the end of a pen to trace the ropes. She was basically using the "finding" technique in pattern-searching.

To solve this problem, I used a version of the "fill-in" pattern-finding technique. I tried to fill in the rope so that it would be easier to differentiate between rope and space, which is the main obstacle in solving this puzzle. I also used the "finding" technique, training my eyes to see ends of the rope. This process definitely took longer than my sister's, and it made my eyes hurt. After seeing the ends of the ropes in the middle of the spiral on the right, the solution seems obvious and I was surprised it took me so long to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment